Winners of the IOF Young Investigators Awards announced at Singapore meetingDecember 13, 2010
Researchers from China, India, Japan, Sri Lanka and Taiwan, China were the recipients of the International Osteoporosis Foundation's (IOF) Young Investigators Awards, presented today at the IOF Regionals - 1st Asia-Pacific Osteoporosis Meeting in Singapore. The award winners were selected from among the 200 abstract submissions submitted to the meeting by young investigators. Award winners received 1000 USD and the opportunity to present their research at a high profile oral communications session.
With osteoporosis acknowledged as a serious and growing health problem in Asia, IOF has pledged to promote health professional training and support research efforts in the region.
The IOF Regionals- Asia-Pacific Osteoporosis Meetings will be an annual forum for education, innovation and collaboration, giving researchers in the region the opportunity to present their work to a large international audience and key opinion leaders.
The five award winning abstracts are published in Osteoporosis International, Volume 21, Suppl. 5, 2010:
- Rapidly Increasing Rates of Hip Fracture in Beijing, China: A population-based study with validated rates
S. He, W. Xia, L. Xu, A. Liu, Y. Jiang, M. Li, O. Wang, X. Xing, Y. Su, S.R. Cummings (OC11)
- Gender Differences in Incidence of Falls and its Associated Factors in a Population-based Cohort Study in Japan: The ROAD study
S. Muraki, T. Akune, H. Oka, K. Nakamura, H. Kawaguchi, N. Yoshimura (OC12)
- Hip Fracture Patients in India Have Vitamin D Deficiency and Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
S.K. Sahoo, D.K. Dhanwal, V.K. Gautam (OC13)
- Effect of Calcium and Vitamin D Fortified Cereal-based Food Supplement on the Bone Health Among Sri Lankan Pre-school Children
M. Hettiarachchi, S. Lekamwasam, C. Liyanage (OC14)
- Comparison of the Therapeutic Effect of Teriparatide with that of Antiresorptive Agents for the Treatment of New-onset Adjacent Vertebral Compression Fracture After Percutaneous Vertebroplasty
Y.Y. Tseng, C.H. Su (OC15)
The International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization dedicated to the worldwide fight against osteoporosis, the disease known as "the silent epidemic". IOF's members - committees of scientific researchers, patient, medical and research societies and industry representatives from around the world - share a common vision of a world without osteoporotic fractures. IOF now represents 195 societies around the world, including 28 societies in Asia. IOF's Asian-Pacific regional office is located in Singapore. http://www.iofbonehealth.org
International Osteoporosis Foundation
Brightsurf.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.